Canadian Immigration changes policy regarding entry to Canada with DUI and Temporary Resident Permit


Today Canadian immigration announced that as of March 1, 2012 individuals, who are criminally inadmissible to Canada due to certain offences, can apply for a Temporary Resident Permit Canada (TRP) without paying the $200 processing fee. This fee exemption pertains to those applying at the consulate as well as at the port of entry.

All of the other requirements for a Temporary Resident Permit Canada (TRP) remain the same. TRP applicants will still have to demonstrate they have a significant reason for entering Canada and that they do not pose a threat to Canadian society. As always, Canadian immigration still encourages those who are eligible for Criminal Rehabilitation to undergo that process and take care of their inadmissibility permanently.

Please note this is a one-time fee exemption only. If an individual requires another TRP, they will be required to pay the $200 CAN processing fee the following time. In addition, this exemption does not apply to individuals who have been convicted of an offence, which would constitute serious criminality (punishable by 10 years or more under Canadian federal legislation).

For more information please contact FWCanada

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *