Bridging Open Work Permits for Foreign Workers in Canada


Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) recently introduced a new kind of federal work permit, the Bridging Open Work Permit (WP), for current foreign workers in Canada. This permit is designed for individuals who are seeking a Canadian permanent residence status while in Canada working on a work permit. CIC believes that this measure can significantly reduce the trouble for foreign workers who wish to continue living in the country—some good news to celebrate.

In an effort to retain skilled labour and increase efficiency, CIC offers the new WP to fill the gap of the immigration system. The benefit to the WP is that it grants foreign workers one-year work permits immediately once they are able to prove that their applications for permanent residence have been accepted at CIC. Individuals who have applied through the Federal Skilled Worker Program (FSWP), Canadian Experience Class (CEC), Provincial Nominee Program (PNP) or the Federal Skilled Trades Program (FSTP) are eligible for the WP.

The new permit gives foreign workers greater flexibility and control over their career in Canada. On the other hand, it makes Canada a more accessible and appealing country to work in.   

“Improvements to our immigration system like this will help Canada attract the best and the brightest from around the world […]” says Jason Kenney, the minister of Citizenship, Immigration, and Multiculturalism. 

 Follow FWCanada on facebook and twitter (@fwcanada) for up to the minute news on Canadian immigration and this new Start-up Visa program.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *