Looking to extend your stay in Canada after graduation? Find a program that works for you

Obtaining a Canadian student visa (also known as a Canadian Study Permit) offers foreigners many opportunities and may even open doors for some to apply for permanent residency in Canada during or after the completion of their studies.

For those who aspire to extend their stay in the country after graduation, Canada offers the Post-Graduation Work Permit Program. This program allows qualified foreign students to get work experience, which can later play an vital role towards getting permanent resident status.

In order to be eligible for this program, a student must have graduated from a public or private educational establishment, which offers degrees that are officially recognized by either the province or territory of study.  Such institutions include CEGEP, college, or university.

To avoid any unwanted hassles, students must register to obtain a Post-Graduation Work Permit within 90 days of receiving confirmation from the educational establishment of having fulfilled all the necessary requirements for the completion of their  program.  This permit gives these former students the flexibility to work in the field of their choice and switch employers whenever they deem necessary.

Similarly, for those who would like to obtain the much needed “Canadian work experience” while still studying, Canada offers the Off-Campus Work Permit. A permit such as this, obtained while undertaking post-secondary education, is valid for up to 3 years.  For instance, a 4-year bachelor’s program at a university may entail a work permit for 3 of those years. In addition, students completing an eight-month certificate program are also eligible to obtain a work permit for the duration of their studies.

Due to its diversity, friendly culture, and thriving economy, many international students envision a future for themselves in the country as permanent residents. For them too, Canada offers the Canadian Experience Class program.  To meet the eligibility criteria, a student must have at least one year of work experience in a technical, professional, managerial or trade occupation, and must have graduated from a certified post-secondary program.

As one of the most trusted immigration law firms, FWCanada offers the knowledge and expertise to ensure a smooth transition to Canada.  Please contact our office or visit our website to make sure you meet the requirements for the program of your choice.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *