Canada Study Permit FAQs

FAQ – Canada Study Permit

1. What are the top 10 universities in Canada?

2. What am I required to submit with my Canada study permit application?

3. How do I renew study permit in Canada?

4. How to Study in Canada for International Students

5. What should I know about schools and universities in Canada?

1. What are the top 10 universities in Canada?

Macleans, a Canadian weekly news magazine, ranks Canada’s Universities every year. Below is their ranking of the top comprehensive and Medical Doctoral universities in Canada for the 2014 year.

Comprehensive universities have a significant degree of research activity and a wide range of programs at the undergraduate and graduate levels, including professional degrees. Medical Doctoral universities offer a diverse selection of Ph.D programs and also have medical schools.

Comprehensive Universities

Medical Doctoral Universities

1. Victoria

2. Simon Fraser

3. Waterloo

4. New Brunswick

5. Guelph*

5. Memorial*

7. Carleton

8. Regina

9. York

10. Windsor*

10. Laurier*

10. Ryerson*

1. McGill

2. UBC

3. Toronto

4. Queen’s

5. Alberta

6. McMaster

7. Dalhousie

8. Ottawa

9. Calgary*

9. Western*

11. Montreal

12. Saskatchewan

* Indicates a tie

2. What am I required to submit with my Canada study permit application?

You can only submit a Canada study permit application after being accepted at a recognized Canadian school, university or college.

Documents required for a Canada study permit application:

  • Letter of acceptance from a recognized Canadian educational institution (including the school’s designated institution number)
  • Valid passport and who recent passport-sized photos for the principal applicant and their accompanying dependent family members
  • Evidence that you will be able to financially support yourself and accompanying dependents for the duration of studying in Canada. You will have to demonstrate that you have sufficient funds to cover:
    • Your tuition fees
    • Any expenses relating to living in Canada – including food, rent, transportation etc.
    • Your return back to your country of citizenship at the expiration of your Canada study permit

3. How do I renew study permit in Canada?

All foreign students must have a valid Canadian Study Permit while studying at a Canadian University. This is the most important document issued to you by Citizenship and Immigration Canada during your studies. It is therefore important to know when your Canada Study permit expires. If you want to extend your stay in Canada as a student, you must make sure you renew your study permit in Canada at least 2 to 3 months before the expiry date. If you don’t, you must leave Canada once your Canada Study Permit expires.

You should take note of the following:

• You must apply for a renewal or “Change of Conditions” from within Canada.

• You should ensure that your passport is valid until the end of your study period. You cannot extend your Canada Study Permit beyond the expiry date on your passport. If you need to obtain a new passport, you are recommended to begin this process 4 to 6 months before your passport expires.

• If you apply to renew your Canada Study Permit, you can continue to study in Canada, under the same conditions, while you await the decision.

To learn more about extending your study period in Canada, fill out the form on the top right of this page. Someone will reply to you within 24-hours.

4. How to Study in Canada for International Students

The general rule is that all foreign students require a Canada study permit, if they wish to study at any Canadian academic institution. Consult our study permit page to find out how to study in Canada. For international students in certain situations, there are exceptions to this requirement. The first step is to apply to as many Canadian schools as you can. Unless you are the dependent of a foreign worker or student you require an acceptance letter from a Canadian school. To see if your school in Canada makes you eligible for a Canada study permit or to learn how to study in Canada for international students, contact us.

5. What should I know about schools and universities in Canada?

Canada is the country of choice for many foreign students looking for an international experience. Schools and universities in Canada are of a high caliber and much less expensive than many American schools. Also, foreign students who complete an educational credential in Canada may be eligible to apply under many different programs to obtain Canada permanent residency. 

 Below you will find a description of the different types of educational institutions including universities in Canada.

Elementary & High Schools (Primary & Secondary):
Education in Canada is regulated at the provincial level, which means there are different admissions requirements for each school, depending on where it is located. Dependent children of foreign workers or foreign students, are often granted Canada study permits so their children may attend elementary and high school in Canada.

Colleges & Universities in Canada:
After high school, there are many post-secondary options for students in Canada. There are a total of 83 universities in Canada, and many colleges. Six of Canada’s universities are located in Montreal, Quebec, which is the city with the highest concentration of universities. Each university or college has their own entrance requirements, including varying levels of English or French proficiency.

Private Institutions & Vocational Programs/Schools:
Canada has many private educational institutions that offer programs in a wide array of fields of study. There are different academic requirements for admission depending on the school, as each institution is free to establish their own entrance requirements and fees. It is important to verify that the school is accredited in the province where it is located.

Language Training Schools:
Canada has two official languages and many educational institutions are specialized in teaching English & French to foreign students. Most language schools in Canada are not regulated by a provincial government body, so ensure your school is accredited by the province. If you are interested in pursuing a language-training program, you may wish to consult various public institutions or universities in Canada.