Canada Post-Graduate Work Permit

Graduates of Canadian academic programs of at least eight months in duration can move from a study permit to a Canada post-graduate work permit. The period of validity of the Canadian work permit will depend on the length of study in Canada.

    • Students who completed an academic program between eight months and two years in duration will receive a Canada post-graduate work permit for the same period of validity as their Canada study permit.
    • Foreign students who have studied on a valid Canada study permit for more than 2 years are entitled to a three-year Canada post-graduate work permit, regardless of the period of study.


To apply for a Post-Graduate Work Permit, the applicant must have a valid study permit.  The application for this permit must be submitted within 90 days from the time the applicant recieved confirmation that they have completed their academic program.

The main advantage of this type of work permit is that it is an open work permit that does not require a job offer in order to meet the requirements. You are entitled to work for any employer without any additional verification. There are also many different Canadian permanent residency programs offered to individuals who have graduated from a Canadian academic program and who have work experience.  For more information on these programs, click here.

Foreign students and foreign workers are in most cases entitled to have their spouse accompany them. Their spouse will be entitled to an open work or study permit, allowing them to work for any Canadian employer or study at any Canadian educational institution. These types of work permits do not require a job offer – the spouse will qualify for it on the basis of the principal applicant’s study permit or Canada work permit. For more information about open work permits click here.

There are some cases where individuals may not be eligible for a Post-Graduate Work Permit, such as participation in specific programs (like the Canada-China Scholars Exchange Program), being part of a distance learning program, or having recieved funding for your studies from certain sources (such as the Canadian Department of Foreign Affairs, Trade and Development).

FWCanada offers a comprehensive evaluation service that encompasses all Canadian immigration programs, both for permanent and temporary residence.  If you are interested in having such an evaluation completed, we would be happy to provide you with a legal opinion letter concerning your eligibility. In order to complete our assessment, kindly fill out our contract which will bring you to our full online assessment form.

FWCanada is a Montreal-based immigration law firm that provides professional legal services on Canadian immigration. For more tips and updates on Canadian immigration follow FWCanada on FacebookTwitter, and Linkedin.