Prince Edward Island (P.E.I.) is Canada's smallest province but that does not mean that there aren't excellent opportunities for new Canadian immigrants. P.E.I. PNP has a variety of immigration options for applicants with the intention of settling there.
Many of P.E.I. PNPs are based on a points system. Points are awarded for different criteria, the points system is referred to as the Self-Assessment Form. Maximum points are awarded for the following:
• Under 55 years old
• Obtained a at least a high school diploma and 12 years of study
• Have at least two years of full-time work experience, five years from the date of application
• Have basic proficiency in English or French
P.E.I. PNP Skilled Worker Stream
This is a job offer based provincial nomination program, in order to qualify the applicant must demonstrate that they:
- Have been offered a full-time permanent position in a skilled occupation for which they meet the necessary education, training and language (English or French) requirements AND
- Have a minimum of 50 points on the Self-Assessment Form
P.E.I. PNP Critical Worker Stream
This program is specially designed for individuals who score a minimum of 50 points on the Self-Assessment Form and have been working for at least six months in P.E.I. in one of the following occupations
• Truck driving
• Customer Service
• Food & Beverage Service
• Low Skilled Labor
P.E.I. PNP Family Connections Stream
Canadian permanent residents and citizens permanently residing for more than two years in P.E.I. can sponsor close family members under this program. This program widens the definition of who is eligible to be sponsored, from the Federal program. The Canadian sponsor will have to demonstrate they have sufficient income. The family member being sponsored must be able to demonstrate that they:
- Are related to the sponsor and are their grandparent or parent, grandchild or child, sibling, cousin, nephew/niece or uncle/aunt AND
- Have a full-time permanent job offer from an employer in P.E.I.
P.E.I. PNP International Graduate Stream
This program is very similar to the Canadian experience class, designed for foreign students who wish to work and settle in P.E.I. An applicant must be able to demonstrate that they:
• Within the last two years graduated from a university or college in Canada
• Have worked for at least six months and have obtained an offer of full-time employment in a skilled position in P.E.I.
• Have basic English or French proficiency
P.E.I. PNP Investor Programs
P.E.I. PNP has different programs for individuals seeking to set up or invest in a business in P.E.I. All programs under this category require the following:
• Have the skills, education, age, language ability and experience to operate a business in P.E.I.
• Have a personal net worth of a minimum of $400,000 CAD
• Make a deposit of $100,000 CAD to guarantee the investment, which is returned to the applicant
• Invest at least $150,000 CAD in a business venture in P.E.I.
• Prepare a detailed business plan after visiting the province explaining the applicant's intentions for settling in P.E.I. and taking an active role in the management of the business venture
Under the 100% Ownership Stream the applicant must own and control 100% of the equity in the company.
Under the Partial Ownership Stream the applicant must own and control at least 1/3 of the equity in the company OR make an investment of $1,000,000 CAD.
P.E.I. PNP Work Permit Stream
This is another type of Investor stream with all of the same requirements as the Partial Ownership Stream except for the minimum investment requirement, under this program there is no minimum. Under this stream, the applicant must apply for a Canadian work permit and work in the business in P.E.I. that he or she intends to invest in.
For more information about or to see if you qualify for the P.E.I. PNP, contact FWCanada.