Quebec Business Immigration
The province of Quebec is seeking individuals with business experience who are willing to make an investment in Canada or own and actively manage a business in Canada for permanent residency. Under the Quebec business immigration programs, individuals are selected based on their ability to create jobs and contribute to a strong and prosperous economy.
If the applicant can demonstrate that they meet the criteria associated with the specific category, their application will be assessed in relation to the following factors: age, education, work experience & language proficiency. None of the Quebec business immigration categories require applicants to submit results of an approved language proficiency test. However, all applicants will have to demonstrate at least beginner proficiency or a willingness to learn French. There are several ways to qualify under the Quebec business immigration programs and each stream carries a unique set of requirements.
Quebec Investor Immigration Category:
The Quebec Immigrant Investor Program (QIIP) will be accepting applications from September 8 to September 19, 2014. If the program cap is not reached during that period, the program will be re-opened to applications from December 1 to December 12, 2014. Applicants who are able to demonstrate an advanced intermediate knowledge of French do not need to apply within these windows and can submit their application at any time before March 31, 2015.
This program currently has an imposed cap and is accepting 1750 applications for the investor program program. There is an additional cap of 1200 applications for each country. This restriction does not apply to applications who are able to demonstrate an advanced intermediate knowledge of French through the results of a standardized test.
To qualify under the Quebec Investor program, an applicant must be able to demonstrate the following:
- A market value net worth of at least $1,600,000 CAD. The applicant must be able to demonstrate that their net worth was legally obtained more than six months prior to the filing of the application.
- At least two years of business management experience within the preceding 5 years from the date the application is filed. The applicant must have had work authorization and/or legal status when they acquired their business management experience. Unauthorized work experience will not count for this program.
- Willingness to invest $800,000 CAN with a broker or trust company authorized to participate in the QIIP. Applicants must sign an agreement to this effect.
- Intent to settle in Quebec
"Business experience" for the purposes of the Quebec Investor Immigration category means that the applicant's work experience involves the planning, management and control of both the finances of the business AND some portion of the human and/or material resources.
Managerial experience in any of the following business will count:
- Farm management, commercial business, industrial management, professional businesses (if the business had a staff of at least two full time employees other than the applicant), international organizations, foreign governments or any of their departments or agencies.
If the applicant can demonstrate that they meets these criteria, their application will be assed by an Immigration Quebec officer who will also consider the following factors: age, education, work experience & language proficiency.
Quebec Business Immigration: Entrepreneurs
NOTE: This program currently has an imposed cap of 500 applications together with the Self-Employed Worker Category.
Immigration Quebec has a designated program for individuals seeking to reside in the province of Quebec and purchase, invest in or create a business in Quebec. In order to qualify for this program, the applicant will have to demonstrate the following:
- A minimum $300,000 CAD net worth, including the principal applicant's spouse's assets, which has been legally obtained
- At least two years of full-time business management experience in a business where the applicant controls at least 25% of the equity, within the five years preceding the date of application.
For the work experience to qualify, the entrepreneur must have had duties and responsibilities related to the planning, management and control of resources (human, financial & material). Managerial experience only refers to the proportion of time the applicant actually spent managing, if they had other duties, their managerial experience was not full time.
Applicants may only qualify for points for language proficiency if they can demonstrate at least an advanced intermediate knowledge of oral and written French.
The applicant must have the intention to purchase or set up a new business venture in Quebec. The applicant must present a plan whereby they explain how they will manage and operate a business in which they possess at least 25% of the equity, having a minimum value of $100,000 CAD. It is important to note that this Quebec business immigration program's minimum investment is significantly lower than any of the other provincial Canadian immigration programs for entrepreneurs.
The Immigration Quebec officer will also assess the applicant's age, the duration and nature of their work experience (besides their business management experience), their language skills and their personal suitability including knowledge about the province of Quebec.
Since this Quebec business immigration program is designed for those individuals intending to operate a business in Quebec, the business plan describing the proposed business venture is the essential element to this program. The plan must describe how the agricultural, commercial or industrial business venture will employ at least one other resident of Quebec, besides the applicant and the family members included on their application. This position created for a Quebec resident must be on a full-time and permanent basis (minimum 30 hours per week).
Quebec Business Immigration: Self-Employed
NOTE: This program currently has an imposed cap of 500 applications together with the Quebec Entrepreneur Immigration Program.
This program is for self-employed individuals who seek to practice their profession in Quebec. Most of the other Quebec business programs do not permit a person who has obtained their work experience through self-employment to qualify. To apply under this program, applicants must demonstrate:
- A minimum net worth of $100,000 CAD, which can include the assets of applicant's spouse.
- Intention to practice their profession in a self-employed capacity.
- The applicant is required to demonstrate at least two years of self-employment in the five years preceding the application date.
There are no restrictions on the type of occupation the self-employed individual can practice in Quebec, so long as they have the appropriate authorization in regulated occupation. This is different from the Federal Self-Employed program, which limits its programs to self-employed individuals in certain professions. In addition to the aforementioned criteria, an Immigration Quebec officer will assess the application based on the following criteria:
- Age, work experience, English and French language proficiency & personal suitability and knowledge about the province of Quebec
- Principal applicants may only qualify for points for language proficiency if they can demonstrate at least an advanced intermediate knowledge of oral and written French. Spouses are subject to the language threshold for oral French only.
To find out more about Quebec Business Immigration and to learn how FWCanada can help you with your application, fill out our free assessment form.