HomeWork In CanadaPost-Graduate Work Permit

Canada Post-Graduate Work Permit

Graduates of Canadian academic programs of at least eight months in duration can move from a study permit to a Canada post-graduate work permit. The period of validity of the Canadian work permit will depend on the length of study in Canada.

    • Students who completed an academic program between eight months and two years in duration will receive a Canada post-graduate work permit for the same period of validity as their Canada study permit.
    • Foreign students who have studied on a valid Canada study permit for more than 2 years are entitled to a three-year Canada post-graduate work permit, regardless of the period of study.

To apply for a Post-Graduate Work Permit, the applicant must have a valid study permit.  The application for this permit must be submitted within 90 days from the time the applicant recieved confirmation that they have completed their academic program.

The main advantage of this type of work permit is that it is an open work permit that does not require a job offer in order to meet the requirements. You are entitled to work for any employer without any additional verification. There are also many different Canadian permanent residency programs offered to individuals who have graduated from a Canadian academic program and who have work experience.  For more information on these programs, click here.

Foreign students and foreign workers are in most cases entitled to have their spouse accompany them. Their spouse will be entitled to an open work or study permit, allowing them to work for any Canadian employer or study at any Canadian educational institution. These types of work permits do not require a job offer – the spouse will qualify for it on the basis of the principal applicant's study permit or Canada work permit. For more information about open work permits click here.

There are some cases where individuals may not be eligible for a Post-Graduate Work Permit, such as participation in specific programs (like the Canada-China Scholars Exchange Program), being part of a distance learning program, or having recieved funding for your studies from certain sources (such as the Canadian Department of Foreign Affairs, Trade and Development).

To find out how FWCanada can assist you with your Canada post-graduate work permit please fill out our free assessment form.

Go to top

Let Us Assist You

Contact FWCanada online for a consultation. Reply within 24 hours.

Full name (*)
Please enter your name
Email address (*)
Invalid Input
Phone number
Invalid Input
Subject (*)
Invalid Input
Your question
Invalid Input
Antispam  Antispam  Invalid Input


Follow Us To Get Industry Updates and News

Facebook logo LinkedIn logo Twitter logo

Contact Us

TOLL FREE in North America :


International calls : +1.514.316.3555

Follow us on Twitter