Canada Work Permit For Students
Foreign students who have a valid Canada study permit, and are enrolled in a Canadian educational institution, have many different options when it comes to working in Canada. Not all jobs will require a Canada work permit for students. Most off-campus jobs will require a work permit, though some are subject to certain work permit/LMO exemptions. Below is a list of Canada work permit options for students:
1. On-campus work permit exemption: Full-time foreign students with a valid Canada study permit seeking to work on campus do not require a Canadian work permit.
2. Off-campus work permits: Foreign students studying full time on a valid Canada study permit may be authorized to work off-campus if their school participates in an off-campus work permit program through Citizenship and Immigration Canada.
3. Co-op programs & internship work permits: Foreign students who are studying in a program that requires work experience such as through a co-op or internship program.
4. Post-graduate work permits: Foreign students who have graduated from an academic program in Canada, that lasted a minimum of eight months, will qualify for a post-graduate work permit. Generally, the Canada work permit will be valid for the same duration as your Canada study permit was.
5. Work permits for the spouse of a foreign student: A spouse accompanying a foreign student on a valid Canada study permit is also entitled to a Canadian study permit or an open work permit, which does not require a job offer or Labour Market Opinion.
Canada seeks to facilitate the integration of foreign students into Canadian society. For this reason there are many options for students seeking to work in Canada.
Not only is it easier for students with a valid Canada study permit to obtain authorization to work in Canada, they may also become eligible for various Canadian permanent residency programs.
For more information or, to ask a Canadian immigration lawyer about your options, fill out the form above. FWCanada will respond to your inquiry within 24-hours.